After a decision to stop blogging and then deleting just about
everything here, I changed my mind! If you've popped in from Pinterest and you can only see this banner, click on it, and welcome in!


Monday, March 31, 2014

Snow, Spring and Soda Bread...


Hmm...my last post really was a while ago! 
Hopefully you lovely girls are all happy and have been busy doing what you love best. :)

 Outside my window some unexpected snow is falling and again everything is covered in white.  The temps should rise into the 50's by this afternoon so this little bit of winter will again melt away into spring.  

The backyard birdies are happily singing away as if not at all bothered by this surprise snow.  They know there probably won't be many more snowflakes landing on their little heads after today. ;)

We've been on an Irish soda bread kick since St. Patrick's Day.  Yesterday I baked up another loaf.  It's so good warm from the oven and slathered with butter.  It's also just as delicious a day or two later, sliced thick and lightly toasted...of course we glob on the butter then too!

I have two recipes for soda bread and both are good, but I've been using my mom's recipe lately.   I'll include it below if you'd like to give it a go.


In between my never ending munching on soda bread, I finished up a few springtime pins.  ;) 


Flowers, leaves and vines in pretty spring colors with a few itty-bitty bees buzzing around.  I had such fun creating these!


   I know I've missed so much of what you've been up to this past month.  Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all my visiting this week.
Have a lovely day sweeties.  See you soon!

(Elizabeth of Another Vegetarian, :) If you're reading this can you email me?) 

**** 
Irish Soda Bread
4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of golden raisins
3 tablespoons of caraway seeds (optional)
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
4 tablespoons of just melted butter
2 cups of buttermilk
2 eggs
Preheat your oven to 300°
In a large bowl mix your dry ingredients together.
In a separate bowl stir together the butter, buttermilk and eggs.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together.  The dough will be stiff.
Divide evenly into two regular sized loaf pans and bake in the center of the oven for one hour.

* You can also make one large round loaf like I did in the photo.  I used a 10" stoneware pie plate.  Just check to make sure it's cooked through after about an hour.

Enjoy!
xo Paulette

31 comments:

  1. Hello Paulette Your soda bread looks so yummy to eat. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Much appreciated. Your Spring brooches are all very lovely indeed. Happy Spring. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/31/2014

    Your spring pins are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sweet creations and the tiny bees are an adorable little touch, yummy soda bread....thanks for the recipe

    Smiles~
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. i realy can`t believe it! everytime i think; now this is the most beautiful pin she has made, but you did it again. those bumblebee`s, so cute. and what a lot of work, and realy outstanding! love all your work, as always....
    greetings annemiek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paulette, I do look forward to your posts.You have once again made some amazing pins, love the little bees X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new pins are beautiful! You have been very busy indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't believe I have ever had soda bread! I will have to make a loaf just to see what it is like. With raisins in it, it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You work is amazing, love the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to read your post. Never having tasted soda bread I am curious. Slathered with butter will definitely enhance even shoe leather...so says Mr. C who even slathers butter on his Oreo cookies. Your stitched pins are sew beautiful. Those tiny little bees are amazing. We finally are having a LOT of rain. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha my sweet Paulette, there you are and you have been working on your beautiful pins again as well as baking the most delectable looking bread - I may have to give this recipe a go with gluten free flour - but after my trip away, for all that butter that I will surely smother over it will surely do something to my hips which are already a wee bit bigger than I desire them to be, haha!!!
    These new pins are so gorgeous Paulette, intricate, delicate - such nimble fingers you must have my dear friend! I so love the peaceful rested feeling your beautiful blog provides . . . .
    You will be happy to see snowflakes falling again, even if only for a short while - enjoy them!
    Take good care of yourself and have a wonderful week!
    Loving wishes coming your way from across the sea, Joy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pins made me smile as always. Welcome spring

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmm....that bread looks SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh egads, those hearts are just too stinkin' cute.......geez you're so talented.

    Hug N Love,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, it's hard to imagine snow here! We have had a long, hot summer here in Australia and it was supposed to be Autumn about 2 weeks ago, but it is still hot! I long for cooler weather so I can do more baking and quilting. Your soda bread looks and sounds so very yummy. Being from Texas, I am also looking forward to making chili and cornbread on a cold rainy day too, as soon as one comes along. xx debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Soda bread looks yummy and I absolutely love that teapot! Pins are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Morning Paulette!
    That bread looks amazing! I love your sweet spring pins. The bees are so sweet.
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paulette...you work is lovely. You must have 1 trillion beads in your stash !!
    Happy Spring ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your art is so beautiful... It brings a warm smile every time you post something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Paulette, your work always takes my breath away! You were my first ever inspiration some years back, and you continue to push me to a higher level in my felt art.
    xx Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have the same weather. Two days ago we enjoyed first spring flowers, but today everything all around is covered by snow. And birds are singing theirs happy spring songs. Your pins are so beautiful and exclusive. Great idea with bees. What are their wings made of?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm trying a loaf of raisin bread today...never made it before .... but, bake other breads more or less regularly.... it seems a bit dense...and hasn't risen at all in half an hour.... fingers crossed something happens soon....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Przepiękne :) małe arcydzieła :) :) :) pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  23. See, the problem with my reading this post now is that it's pre-supper and my tummy is rumbling so you had me at "slathered with butter"!!! I am actually drooling!

    Your creations always take my breath away, Paulette - I think your springtime pins might be up there as favourites. Those bees, weeny roses, creeping tendrils - all just magical. Really, really magical.

    Have a wonderful weekend my lovely.

    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are so springy...love them! Will you be selling them in your Etsy store?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your pins get better every year, Paulette. These new spring pins have hit it outta the park-pardon my baseball metaphor. Lovely is the word.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Paulette,
    I have missed your posts... I hope all is well with you.
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2/16/2015

    Your pins are just beautiful. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your work is just so fabulous. I love your artistry and attention to detail. I always look forward to what you will post next!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous2/24/2015

    How can I make one of the goregous delightful pins!!! I'm ohing and cooing and almost drooling at the mouth. I saw one of your pins on facebook about a week ago and have been dying to see if I can learn how to make one or even buy one. So I'm wondering do you have kits! I have a dear friend who is in need of something very special and your heart with the bee's does it for me. Please I would welcome any direction or advice. I've decided to follow you too and get your blog too. julie714@adam.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping to leave a comment...It's always so nice to hear from you! :)