After a decision to stop blogging and then deleting just about
everything here, I changed my mind! If you've popped in from Pinterest and you can only see this banner, click on it, and welcome in!


Friday, September 6, 2013

Crickets and Pumpkins...

 
Hi Sweeties!
 
The days are growing shorter and here in the northeast it's starting to feel as though autumn IS just around the corner.  Don't you just love this time of year?!! :)
 
After dinner,  as the sun settles down behind the trees across the street, the crickets start to sing each night.  Don't get me wrong, we do hear them singing during the summer, but towards the very end of summer they get so loud ... as if all their little summertime songs were just practice sessions,  and now they've organized themselves into a delightful cricket chorus just in time to welcome in the new season!  Believe it or not, this is my favorite summertime sound, although I have to say the music box tinkle of the Mister Softee truck is a close second!
 
In thinking autumn thoughts, I just finished up a couple of pumpkin pins.
 
 
They're very similar to pumpkin pins I've done in the past, but with a beaded edge.  I think the beads add a nice little touch to these pins.
 
 
 
I always bake something to celebrate the start of September and the onset of autumn, so the other day I baked up a batch of these simple but very yummy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.
 
 
This is a great recipe because if you do any baking at all, you probably have everything you need to make these cookies in your pantry right now.  They bake up crisp and totally delicious!
 
I found the recipe in an issue of Taste of Home magazine.  If you're not familiar with this magazine, it's composed of recipes sent in by it's readers, and Nancy Fridirici sent in this one.  Trust me, it's a keeper!
 
Here's the recipe if you want to give it a go...
 
Oatmeal Chip Cookies
 
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
 
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
 
2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake at 350° for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove to wire racks.
 
I bake mine a bit longer, 16-18 minutes, and I use quick cooking oaks.  In the past I've added raisins, chopped nuts, dried cranberries ... you name it, and they're always so good, and in my house they get gobbled up very quickly!
 
I hope you've got something fun planned for this weekend, even if it's something as simple as taking a good book out into the yard to enjoy for an hour or so...just do something you love!
 
As always,  thank you so much for your visits.
 
I'll see you again soon! ;)
 
 


39 comments:

  1. Absolutely cute and cosy pins!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beaded edge you added to the pins....I am trying my best to avoid the recipe and I am not imagining they warm sweet softness of a chocolate chip cookie coming out of the oven!!!!!!
    Mister Softee...oh, what a love affair I had with him!
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your latest pins are beautiful, and perfect for the start of a new season. I love the onset of autumn, too, with all the baking and nesting and snuggling involved...I love choc chip oatmeal cookies - the oats obviously make them a healthy snack! ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paulette! Such lovely pins. The edging is wonderful. Isn't this the perfect time of year? I love fall. The cookies look wonderful.
    I hope that you have a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning, Your pins are awesome and I love all of them. The cookies sound so yummy. Between ballgames and horse shows the weekend is going to be full plus going to the nursing home to visit hubby. Fall is in the air. It is cool of a morning and warm in the afternoon. I love this time of the year when the leaves turn all of their brillrant color. Have a wonderful weekend Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/06/2013

    I love the sound of crickets, too- as long as they stay outside! :)

    Your pumpkin pins are very pretty/cute!

    I only WISH I always had chocolate chips in my cupboard. :) Somehow, they sneak away! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paulette, your pins are beautiful ! Thanks for the recipe! I've never tried it even though that's one of my favorite magazines. Great advice, I promise I will take time to do something I enjoy this weekend;) Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pins Paulette the colours are beautiful and love the added beads too.
    Yum Yum could just those cookies they look delish.
    Hugs Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh Autumn, probably my favourite time of year too, i'm definately not one for the heat of summer although the sun shone down all day on my birthday over a month ago now and while i had family and friends joining me i basked in it, i usually have my tan lines year round lol

    Lovely pins and great to see what you've been up to and might have to convert that recipie and give them a go, they look thicker than some ive made :) Happy September x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should stick to pumpkins of the sort you've done, but those cookies are calling my name (AND my waistline!!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous little pumpkin pins Paulette, and just right for the beginning of Autumn! Autumn there, Spring here - I am becoming a little confused somedays, especially when the weather plays tricks on us and conditions are neither one way or the other!!!
    That looks like a very interesting cookie recipe, very tempting!
    I hope your weekend is just perfect lovely Paulette!
    Joy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Эти тыквы получились очень красивыми, яркими, интересными, оригинальными! Мне очень понравились! И спасибо за рецепт овсяного печенья!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn is my favourite time of year too :) Your little pumpkin pins are gorgeous, the beaded picots echo the flower beads perfectly! Thanks for the cookie recipe too, they look yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paulette,
    I feel like a little kid in a candy store when I visit here.. The beautiful details in your work always amaze me...

    Thank you so much for coming over to meet Matilda.. I am so happy you enjoyed viewing.
    Have a beautiful weekend
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Warm baked cookies really does help bring in the Autumn days of cooler weather and shorter daylight. Your pumpkin pins are delightful. The beads really do set off the edgings. It is wonderful to see your desk such a sea of felt and beads and creative stitching in your previous post I missed. Stitching Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the pins but i think i'm loving the cookies more - LOL!

    we hear cicadas. very LOUD cicadas! and it's still warm. expecting a few days in the 90s next week. waited til august for summer to get here and now looks like fall won't get here til .... who knows? it WILL get here one of these days!

    happy september!

    hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Paulette,
    Oh my your pumpkin embroidery is so gorgeous! The vibrant flowers are such a perfect compliment. The beading around the edges looks amazing.
    Mmmmmm, those cookies look delicious! I love crisp cookies. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Have a wonderful weekend : )
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing that great choco.chip recipe. They look very delicious. Your Pumpkins pins are very lovely. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mister Softee! Oh, yum! I do remember the Mr. Softee truck coming around when we lived in Philadelphia. Sadly, there's no Mr. Softee here in farmland. Now I can't get the jingle out of my head... S - O - F - T - double E, Mister Softee.

    I love the pumpkin pins!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Paulette, very cute pumpkins! Of course, I love all that you do over here. Had to go get a piece of chocolate, all the talk of cookies made me hungry! I'm allergic to wheat, thankfully dark chocolate is not on that list of forbidden foods!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pumpkin pins. ;)
    I make these cookies also...
    I also add just a little cinnamon.
    Just love how good the house smells, when you pull them from the oven !
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not too fond of the very end of summer when Nature can't decide if the days should be hot or should be cooler. October is one of my favorite months. Not sure if that is because it's my birthday month, or Halloween or I'm thinking about Day of The Dead art.

    Your pumpkin pins are a perfect fall lapel or hat pin. So cute and I do like the beaded edges.

    Xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi ya, your latest pin is really is really good, your so talented.Thanks for the recipes must give it a go, they look so tasty x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Headed to get some ice cream now as a mid afternoon treat for a week well done. Your pumpkin pins are very cute, Paulette and the little black Scottie in the aqua jacket just brings a smile to my mug every time I see her little self.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello my sweet friend,I am back in blogland after a beautiful summer.....I see you made again beautiful treasures.....I am in love with all your sweet things....and....again a big hug for all yours to me....xxx

    ReplyDelete

  26. Such glorious pumpkin turned. The charm)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just adored your sweet pumpkins...We too are being serenaded by the crickets. When I let Lucy out for the last time at night it sounds like a party is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the pins looks lovely, and such fine work, it amaze me every time I look at a pin you made.
    great cookies too....
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those pumpkins are A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E, just the perfect adornment for autumn. The cookies look good too. Today it was in the 90's and by tomorrow it will be in the low 70's. Perfect weather for turning on the oven and whipping up a batch or 2 of something yummy. I don't know that I have a favorite season anymore. I just know that hot summers are not my cup of tea.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your little pumpkin pins are adorable! I'm just mesmerized by your felt work and stitch work. Such a great combination.

    The cookie recipe sounds so good & I'll be trying them on my hubby. Love the ones where you usually have the ingredients you need and no trip to the store.

    I just finished a 2 day scrapbooking session with my dear friends and feel so refreshed. What a joy it is to talk and laugh and just be girls!

    Blessings, Edie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your pins are always so lovely ... if only I had your talent!!!!
    Wish I liked oatmeal cookies ... I'd try this recipe out. They do sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks God you haven't deleted your blog! Happy to follow you via Bloglovin. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sweet Paulette- the pumpkin brooches are adorable and so perfect for the season-- I love that vibrant orange color-- they are beautiful.

    You must be an amazing baker of treats!!! I'm sure your family snatched these right up!

    Love
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Paulette,
    Thanks for the love on my blog....i love these pins! So adorable and it is just perfect for the season.

    You are so lucky that you get to experience autumn around this time of the year. We live in houston where it is still 90's during the day. We have a maple tree in our front yard and it is still green! The leaves starts falling in November, start of winter to a lot of states.

    I do love autmn too! The fact that xmas is just around the corner and the smell of pine and fresh baked goodies.

    Those cookies look so yummy! I must try this recipe..

    I'll see you again soon!! Enjoy your weekend!

    Marivic

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Paulette, Your wee pumpkin pins are sooooooooooo very very pretty and the beading does add a lovely sparkle to them. Happy Autumn. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the pumpkin pins. And I can just smell those wonderful cookies.
    I don't remember if I asked you last time I visited your blog...Do you have an Etsy shop. or website that you sell your gorgeous pins .
    XXOO Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my stars, dear friend, you've got two of my favorite things ever in one beautifully written post! Fall is definitely my favorite time of the year, and chocolate chip oatmeal is my favorite, favorite cookie!

    Your pumpkin broaches are lovely, the bright little flowers add a unique pop of color, and the beaded trim is gorgeous! Is that complicated? Looks it.

    I hope you're well and autumn is treating you kindly, can you believe it's October 1st??

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for visiting my blog. I already follow yours via Bloglovin. I absolutely admire your work. So cute. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for stopping by, Edie Marie and I just love your visits. And such a wonderful comment on my doll and Edie Marie's story. She does an awesome job naming and writing the stories.
    now about you. Where can you but your gorgeous creations?, I can't find an etsy. Please let me know. You are so talented,
    May God Bless,
    Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping to leave a comment...It's always so nice to hear from you! :)