After a decision to stop blogging and then deleting just about
everything here, I changed my mind! If you've popped in from Pinterest and you can only see this banner, click on it, and welcome in!


Saturday, October 5, 2013

It's Autumn!

 
Happy fall Girls!  ;)
 
Autumn's finally here!!!  I'm not a warm weather lover in anyway.  I'm so sorry, but I can't even pretend to be.  Each year I try to be a bit more tolerant, but I always end up spending most of my summer days scooting from the air conditioned house, to the air conditioned car, to the air conditioned ...wherever!  If there's no air conditioning, I just don't go.  Needless to say, I'm thrilled that it's finally cooling off, and I'm able to enjoy being outside again.  YES, I'm doing the happy dance! :D
 
 I haven't stitched a thing since I last popped in, but I thought I'd show you the new fall wreath I just finished up for my front door.
 
 
There's always a wreath reflecting the season or a holiday hanging on my front door.  I like to make them, this way I can choose the color combinations I prefer and whatever other little doodads I'd like to add in.
 
For this wreath, I started with a plain 18"-20" grapevine wreath,  onto which I attached a smaller 12"  grapevine wreath.  I just wired the two together tightly.  Doing this creates a very full looking wreath with a smaller open area in the center, and it also makes it quite thick front to back, so when it's finished it looks really pretty from the side as well as from the front.   
 
I added lots of leaves, some plain and some glittered.
 
 
Cute, plump pumpkins, and some berries and acorns,
 
 
and lots of fall flower stems until it was nice and full.   I also wove some ivy vines all throughout and up along the top.
 
I've had this metal welcome plaque for years.  It was initially on a basket but it works beautifully on this type of wreath ...
 
 
where the bottom is full and the top is left sort of plain.  (excuse my silly reflection!  I was on the bottom of the steps looking up at my camera as I took the picture.)
 
 
I painted the little scarecrow and glued him onto a piece of 1/4" wood.  My husband cut him out for me and then I painted on some clear coating.
 It's always nice to be greeted by a smiling face!
 
Most everything is wired on, but I also used some hot glue, especially for those last minute add in's to get it all looking just right.  You really can't tell from the photo, but there's a good amount of glitter sprinkled around.  It looks so pretty in the afternoon sun.
 
 
Some wreaths I hang from the inside door, but because this one is so thick,  I hung it from the glass outer door. 
 
 
 I have a VERY strong two piece magnetic hook that doesn't budge once it's put on, even when it's holding up a heavy wreath like this one.  I wish I could remember where I got it, but I can't.  I found some that looked the same at Michaels, but they were nowhere near as strong as this one.  I did however find some really strong suction hangers at the hardware store last December, which worked beautifully all season long.
 

  
 
 I had wreaths hanging from all my windows from the start of December till the beginning of January, and none of them fell off!  With this type of hook, you put it onto your window and then pull down on the hook which "locks" it place by increasing the suction.  They're really good!
 
 
 
Halloween decorating is next!  The house will get a bit "batty" soon.  I hope to share some pictures after it's decorated. 
 
I hope you're all enjoying your new season, whether it's beautiful autumn or the start of spring, and doing the fun things that each one brings!
 
Thanks for all your sweet comments in the post below.  xo 
See you soon!
 
 Paulette :)
 


34 comments:

  1. An absolute stunner! Your wreath is so welcoming and beautiful! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is lovely. I don't have a seasonal wreath but really want to make one now! I love your perfect little creations.Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Это очень красиво! Прекрасно! Браво!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous wreathe! I love all the special touches, the glitter leaves & acrons, the little berries and how full it is, no sparse wreaths here! ;) Your little painted scarecrow is adorbs, too! Oh, and I LOVE your "silly" reflection, I got to see my friend, yayyyy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wreath is absolutely beautifully Fall!! Thanks for all the construction tips. And the hooks. I have patio doors in the front of my house and never ever gave a thought to using suction hooks or magnets.

    Thanks for sharing your secrets.
    x, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh for the time and space to do more art! Your wreath is lovely, thank you for sharing.
    We don't really have 'autumn' here, stays pretty much the same year round. A bit dull if you're not use to it, I don't think much about it until I start seeing pictures from everyone of the mountains decorated for fall. I do miss that. Have a great weekend, k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Afternoon pretty lady,

    Paulette your wreath is amazing.......as is everything you make. I had no idea your talents went into drawing as well......you are truly an all around artisan. I'm with you on the weather change. Although each different season brings me different difficulties, I'd rather not be sweating like a pig while I'm hurting. Since I don't get cold anymore, fall and winter are my best time of year, except for my sinuses and chest. I love to sing, and I'm fairly good at it, but during the winter I'm all clogged up, so that's the only reason I like summer........I sing loud and clear during the summer. Your wreath is stunning, but I can't wait to see more of your sewn goodies......you are truly a master.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Paulette,
    This is such a lovely wreath. Beautiful warm colors and so perfectly put together. Stunning! Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful works of art now the cooler weather is pleasing you
    Hugz from a hot and sticky South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really pretty. I am opposite of you. I love the warmer weather. I am starting to get settled in Tenn. I won't miss the long island winter. I am glad this is your favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! It's so nice to hear you're getting settled into your new surroundings. It must be such fun exploring your new area! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi ya, your wreath is gourgeous.I love the little pumpkins and the glittery leaves, all and all its arranged well x.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so lovely to see you again sweet Paulette - I've been missing you and wondering where you were. Your wreath is beautiful and the hooks you use are a great tip, thank you - and it was nice to see your reflection there too - looking good babe!
    Have a great weekend,
    Warm hugs, Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I love the wreath and the sweet pumpkin pins. Won't you pretty please make some kits for Christmas gifting? I would love to make some of your lovelies, but know thy would look homely. I love hand-stitching-so soothing.

    Happy fall

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10/05/2013

    I love your wreath! Nice job!

    I used to hate summer until we got a pool. We don't have it anymore but this last summer I had a pool pass and that makes summer nice, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your wreath is absolutely beautiful. Definitely the fall colors which is my favorite time of the year. I am trying to catch up with friends because I am not sleepy. I love looking at all of your pins that you make. Beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely and so Fall-ish. Fall flower colors are my favorite and you have done them honor this time, Paulette. The idea of wiring two wreaths together is just Brilliant. Happy Autumn, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking wreath! Love this time of year. Thank you for sharing about the suction hooks...I need these!
    xo,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Goodness--- that wreath is stunning girlfriend!! Maybe the prettiest fall wreath I've ever seen.

    I'm actually loving the warm fall weather--- I can't bear to think about cold just yet!

    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, i`m with you on the season thing. I love autumn and spring, they are seasons that are so promising!
    and look how sheer full you made your frond door....
    I really love your wreath.
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wreath is beautiful and each of your details really enhance its beauty. Your home is lovely and I do hope you post photos of your "batty" decor. So happy to see you posting. Creative Bliss Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous wreath! I love the changing seasons and am so happy for Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your wreath is beautiful.
    It is just packed full of gorgeous color !
    Very lovely and rich. ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning wreath! I haven't made a wreath in years. The last one was for my youngest daughter for Christmas. Your did a beautiful job and I have to say that your wreath is just as pretty, if not prettier, than anything I have seen in the stores. Have a good week.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your wreath is beautiful.
    It is just packed full of gorgeous color
    I love the Autumn.Have a nice day.
    Hugs Ingvor

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely wreath! Very beautiful!
    Hugs,Yuli

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wilt in warm weather, so I am always grateful for the coolness of fall! I love your wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This wreath is just stunning! I love your creation Paulette! When I saw your wreath, I am so ready for thanksgiving....
    The wreath is so inviting and so welcoming! You're truly amazingly talented!!

    HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome!
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely fantastic all the things that you do! I just found yr blog by accident and I am truly genuinly amazed indeed;) Greetings from Cracow!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Paulette, that is absolutely stunning! Such gorgeous colours and textures. Funnily enough I said to one of my colleagues earlier this week how nice it would be to have a seasonal wreath on the classroom door.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your wreath creation Paulette! It's so inviting and colorful. What a great job painting the little scarecrow, he's adorable. I've got to look for those type of hooks for my front door, so little space between the inside door and the storm door.

    I have to add that your pumpkin pins are incredible! The bead trim really finishes them off. What a talent you have for these tiny treasures you make.

    Blessings, Edie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  30. hello sweet Paulette,what a beautiful autumn wreath you made...I love this handwork too from you....I hope everything is alright with you and your family....have a cozy rest of october....

    a big hug from me to you
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous10/19/2013

    beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. So beautiful! I love this wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh how I wish we were neighbors! Visited you some time ago and just stopped buy again today to say hello. Love your beautiful needlework. Love your site. We must be sisters-so much of myself I find looking around! Thank you for sharing your lovliness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping to leave a comment...It's always so nice to hear from you! :)