Hi Everyone!
This is a pretty long post, but stay with me...it's worth it! :)
When October rolls around, two things quickly come to mind.
The seriousness a pretty pink ribbon represents,
...and then all the fun that comes along with Halloween.
First a little bit about a project connected to that little pink ribbon ...
My friend Vicki creates the most exquisite bird nests.
All of her nests are carefully thought out and knitted, using the most beautiful yarns, threads, laces and ribbons that she's collected over the years. They are truly beautiful and you can just see all the love that's woven into each and every one. :)
She embellishes them with an assortment of charming goodies, hand made by some of her many friends.
Her nests are knitted from the heart, and always for a special cause.
Sometime last year, Vicki asked me if I'd like to be part of a very special project she had just started to think about. Of course it sounded wonderful, and I was so flattered to be asked. :)
As you can see, it was a project to help bring awareness to a disease that's touched us all in one way or another ... a project that grew and grew!
Vicki asked me to create a little pin that she would attach to each of the nests she planned on making, and all the money she made from these nests she was going to donate to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
I could never write a post as lovely as the one Vicki's already written, so I'm going to steer you over to her lovely blog now, 2 Bags Full, where you can read the wonderful story of Vicki's Breast Cancer Awareness nests, and her Pink Scarf Project!
Big hugs to Vicki for such a great idea, the endless hours she put into this special project, her seemingly never ending energy...and all of her contagious enthusiasm!
xoxoxoxoxoxo
****
And now for some Halloween fun!
In my last post I hinted at some batty Halloween decorations.
Halloween is such a fun holiday, and because one of my sons was born on Halloween, it's always been a favorite. It's a great day to have a birthday!
This year I decided I wanted a flurry of bats hanging over the front door, so I drew up a bat that I liked, then went to Michaels to buy some black craft foam. Twenty sheets to be exact. At a dollar a piece, the foam was much cheaper than some of the Halloween decorations I've seen, and the end result is super cool!
Using the bat I drew as a template, but varying my cuts just a little each time so they wouldn't all look exactly alike, I cut them out ... about 50 of the little fliers!
Next I threaded a needle with about a yard of clear nylon beading thread, then secured either one, two or three bats from each piece of nylon thread, grabbing each one at the top part of his body, behind his head, and going through twice.
The ceiling of my front porch is vinyl, so I knew I could use strong, clear packing tape to hang the bats without it causing any damage to the ceiling's finish. If you do this and you have a painted ceiling, be careful because when you remove the bats you may also remove the paint! :(
After my bats were all securely strung on their strings, I hopped up on my step ladder, deciding just how long each strand should hang as I went along, and snipping off any extra nylon thread. Before taping each strand on, I tied a little double knot at the end just so there would be something to "catch" in case the thread decided to slip out from the tape. Using about an inch of tape for each, I hung them up. Lots and lots of dangling bats!
I love the way it turned out! When the breeze blows the bats flutter around all nilly willy, just the way a real bat flies.
This was easy, fun, and something you don't see everyday!
Here's a short video I took so you can see how the bats move in just the slightest breeze.
This is real batty Halloween love!!! :D
As always, thank you for your visits and sweet comments. Try to be good and not eat all that Halloween candy you've got stashed around the house before those little trick-or-treaters have a chance to come knocking!
See you soon,
xo Paulette





So cute, Paulette, I love how they Flutter in the slight breeze-clever to hang them in small groups and vary the cutting just enough to give them individual character. Happy Autumn, I love the colors of Fall.
ReplyDeleteWow I love your bats they did turn out super cool :)
ReplyDeleteAnd I love what you made for your friend, I think it's for such a great cause.
Smiles~
Mari
Omygooooooooooosh! Those bats!! Paulette, I actually clapped and squealed in delight! You flappy bats are such fun, and your porch looks FANTASTIC! I love this more than I could possibly say, great job, girl! I can tell yours is *the* house to visit on Halloween, if I was a kid I'd head straight for your place!
ReplyDeleteYour pink ribbon pins are so beautiful, what a wonderful thing that all of you ladies contributed your vast array of skills and work to, such a great cause! Bless all your hearts!
What a fabulous post! Your pin is exquisite, as are those nests. I will be visiting her site today to read more - I love crafting for a cause! And your bats are super, I'm going to have to copy your idea on this side of the pond, we need to get the UK up to speed with US Halloween! (I'm actually American, married to a Brit, and my brother's birthday is on Halloween too, so you understand the full-on celebrations that were part if my childhood!) Thank you for sharing, Chrissie x
ReplyDeleteYou have done a good job with your halloween decorations.They look so real in the video, in fact a bit to real, im a bit of a chicken when it comes to bats.Your friends nests she creates are very imaginative and beautiful, your pins complement her work well.Hope your son has a lovely birthday and you all have a great day xx
ReplyDeleteHello sweet Paulette,what a beautiful project with for me oh so beautiful colors.....I love your pin again,it's a part of all of the beauty.....I am a survivor too, so for me it is work with so much feelings in it from all the ladies......
ReplyDeletebig hug from me too you
xxx
I like Halloween! And I'm glad to see so cool fotos about it!
ReplyDeleteHello Paulette, once again a sweet and lovely post!
ReplyDeleteYour friend Vicki is putting in a wonderful effort for her fund raising - such beautiful work, and your little pins just finish the little nests off perfectly; well done to both of you and I will pop over and have a look at Vicki's blog shortly!
I love your hallowe'en decorations sweet, and the little video is such fun to watch - do enjoy your celebrations, and your son's birthday!
Wishing you happy times!
Warm hugs, Joy xoxo
How could such a sweet lady, have such a scary front porch! I love the little pin you created for Vicki's nests, it adds such a nice touch and I like being able to wear it!
ReplyDeletexo
I love the bats moving around , and all of yours Halloween staff. so nice that will i have hear.
ReplyDeleteAnd the pin so lovely
Hugs Ingvor.
Your pins this year for the nest project are just amazing.
ReplyDeleteYour bats are amazing!! I love this, so spooky. It looks like you were having some gorgeous fall weather too from the pictures.
Hugs!
Chris
OMgosh!! Those bats are just the coolest ever. Thanks so much for sharing your technique. I was just noticing the cupcake pins on your side bar...so cute too.
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween
xx, Carol
Hi Paulette! Your pins will add such sweetness to Vicki's nests! I've admired her dedication to this project and saw your beautiful scarves. I absolutely love your bats!!! That is the coolest Halloween decoration I've seen! So fun! Have a blessed October, dear friend! Twyla
ReplyDeleteMy sweet girlfriend-- the pins look so beautiful in your photos-- the details are absolutely gorgeous. Your stitches and beadwork have made these nests the most exquisite yet. There are just no words to express my gratitude and love for all that you have done to make this project so successful.
ReplyDeleteThe bats--/ oh how we love the bats. Cutest thing I ever saw--
Love-
Vicki
Pink Paulette Pins of Love and Hope and Generosity! They are very sweet and look perfect on Vicki's amazing knitted nests.
ReplyDeleteHappy Halloween Birthday to your son. Your porch is BOO-tiful with your flying bats and decorations. Creative Bliss Dear...
Paulette, Your pin is adorable and the nest are beautiful that Vicki puts together with her helpers. I thought the scarves were beautiful and the way she displayed all of you all work was amazing journey. You felt you were traveling with her. Your Halloween decorations are awesome. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.
ReplyDeleteyou may get this twice (damn computer). love everything you do. always puts a smile on my face after oooooohhhhing and ahhhhhhing!
ReplyDeletehope all is well.
hugs :)
Your bats are adorable! I love how they flutter. The pins are so pretty and delicate and I am sure they will be appreciated by many.
ReplyDeleteThose bats are incredible - great fun! And so is that amazing nest. Such a good cause too.
ReplyDeleteWOW! I love the bats! They came out amazing! And the breast cancer awareness pins are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteI I'll definitely visit your friend's blog to learn more. Her nests are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWith no kids at home or even nearby, we don't decorate for Halloween. It's just another day that passes by. Since we're out in the country, we don't even get trick or treaters. :(
Dave used to have a great time turning our house into a haunted house while the girls and I were out gathering treats. It was frightfully fun!
Hello Paulette, Your Pink Ribbon wee brooch is most lovely and creative.. Love it.. The brooch certainly adds such a beautiful touch to the whole Pink Nest Vicki and friends have created.Hugs Judy.
ReplyDeleteThis house looks great. What great pieces
ReplyDeleteWe love Halloween at our house.
ReplyDeleteIt is my husbands birthday !
Your bats are magnificent. ;)
Rose
OMG Paulette, your porch looks amazing! What a great idea to have all the bats. I bet it's spooky at night!
ReplyDeleteI remember this project from last year. I will find a pink scarf to send. You and Vicki do a beautiful job and for such a great cause!
ReplyDeleteThose bats are the coolest things I've seen!!! Good going!!! As I look down the sides of your blog I continue to marvel at your talent. I just LOVE your felt and bead work!!! I think the wish pin is my favorite, no, the white on white heart, not, the black and multi... no, no, wait... the hope heart... oh forget it... I love them all!
ReplyDeleteHello there. I follow Vicki's blog and have read about her mission with pink. I commend her and find the cause extremely worthwhile. Your contribution to her project will make it shine even more. How clever you are to make such a batty porch. I LOVE IT! I have a stoop, and so many times my hubby and I had wished we had put on a porch back when building the house. I think your idea is fantastic and ought to be featured in a magazine, better yet, on the cover of a magazine!
ReplyDelete(((HUGS))) Susanne :)
such gorgeous photos, and I found you from Vicki's blog too.
ReplyDeleteI love those bats-how fun! Your page is always so beautiful to visit Kathy
I enjoy reading your lovely stories they are entertaining in a soothing way. Thank you for sharing
ReplyDeleteКакой красивый пост! Все очень красивое, интересное, оригинальное! Я в восторге!!! БРАВО!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an honor to create for such a worthy cause. The Susan G Komen Foundation is incredible. Susan was an incredible women and I'm sure she is so pleased that so many help the cause in such special ways. Your creation is especially sweet Paulette!
ReplyDeleteYour front porch is the best I've ever seen for Halloween! It's got to drive the neighbors batty that you thought of something that cool!! Craft foam takes on a whole new meaning when you get a hold of it LOL!
Blessings, Edie Marie
Hola, tienes un blog precioso. Me quedo por aquí y me hago seguidora. Un beso
ReplyDeletehttp://awesomeneedles.blogspot.com.es/
I did my bats with construction paper - years and years ago - and I wasn't half so generous with their size. Even so, I delight in them, especially when the sharp autumn wind blows them all over the place. I just can't get over your - drive to create, and your invention - the loveliness of your details, you own delight in color. I think you are so interesting. Yours is the first blog I've read - because of Pinterest,but I actually read it - in months (to my shame and sorrow - I have so many friends I need to support). I am glad to see that you are writing again. I spent a solid year doing little felt and embellishment projects, and so I went hunting others to see what other people were doing - and found you just after you'd quit. I do not want to see such a light quenched.
ReplyDeleteFound it today. I love it. Your Bat-porch is really awesome.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from Germany