Hi Girls!
I was vacuuming the dinning room yesterday when I glanced into
the china cabinet, and a little Easter-time-post light bulb went off!!! I had to hurry
because it's almost Easter, but if you really, really hurry, you can do
this too!
See that sugar egg sitting there? I made that about 13 years
ago! I know, I can't believe it's that old either, but aside from the flowers
fading a little bit, it's lasted, sitting right there in my cabinet, all this
time!
They're easy to do, and they make the sweetest Easter gifts
all wrapped up in clear cellophane with some swirly-curly ribbons hanging
down .
Okay, here's what you need to
make a sugar egg. :)
An egg mold. The same type you'd use to make a chocolate egg.
Some candy sugar decorations
2 cups of regular white sugar, (more for a larger sized egg like the big one
I made years ago, which measures 6" across)
2 teaspoons of water for each 1 cup of sugar
Some strong cardboard
For the royal icing, you need 3 tablespoons of meringue
powder
6 tablespoons of water
1 pound of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
a couple of drops of green food coloring
A pastry bag for decorating
Here we go... Preheat your oven to 170°.
Into a large bowl, put 2 cups of white sugar.
Add 4 teaspoons of water and with your fingers
mix really well until all the sugar is a little damp.
Spoon the sugar into both
sides of your egg mold, packing it in by pressing firmly.
With a knife, scrap
away any sugar that's sitting higher than the edge of the mold.
Place a piece of cardboard over one egg half and carefully flip it
over, just like you do at the beach when you're making a sand castle with a pail
full of damp sand, and gently remove the egg mold. Do the same with the other egg half also. Notice there is a top and bottom to each egg. The bottom is a bit flat so the egg can sit nicely.
Place both of these egg halves (cardboards too!) onto a cookie
sheet and bake for about a half hour. Don't forget to set your timer!
When the egg comes out of the oven it won't be very hot, so
you can pick it right up and get to work.
With a teaspoon and starting in the center of the
bottom half of your egg, gently scrap away the still damp sugar from the middle
of the egg. The outer part of the egg has now dried out and hardened from it's little bake in the oven, and what you want to do is
carefully scoop out the center until you have a nice hollowed out
egg that you can fill with cute goodies later on. Do the same with the top
half.
After you finish your hollowing, take a sharp paring knife and carve
out an opening which will become the peep hole, but be careful with this part. The second egg
I intended to make cracked during this stage! :(
Next, place the top of the egg onto the bottom so you can
measure the opening you just carved with the knife. With a pencil draw a
half circle on the top half so it mirrors what you just cut from the bottom, and carve out that piece also. This way your peep hole
will be perfect.
Your sugar egg is now ready for decorating...the fun
part!
Following the directions on the meringue powder container, mix up your royal icing. Add a couple drops of green food coloring, and fill your pastry bag.
First pipe some icing into the bottom half of your egg.
If
your icing isn't stiff enough, like mine was here, your decorations will
sink! Don't worry, just empty your pastry bag back into the mixing bowl and add a little more powdered sugar to stiffen it up. I would have
done it over but time was an issue, so please don't mind that my little bunny
looks like she's sinking in green quicksand!
After you're icing is piped in, add whatever sugar
decorations you'd like...bunnies, flowers, chicks...whatever. Then add a thin line of icing onto the edge of the
bottom part of your egg and place the top of the egg onto the bottom.
That line
of icing sort of glues the two sides of the egg together. Not too much because you don't want your "glue line" to stand out on the inside of the egg...like mine is doing here! Remember, I'm in a hurry to get this post up so there's no time for do-overs! ;)
Next, pipe some squiggles all around the egg, covering the
center seam.
Then pipe some more squiggles around the peep hole. Finally,
finish by piping a blob of icing onto the top of the egg. (You girls who know
how to make pretty leaves, now is the time to do your magic!) Plop some sugar roses on
top, and you're done!
For an extra sparkly touch, I like to sprinkle a
dusting of super fine glitter over and into the egg. Sooo pretty!
Before I make my next egg, I will definitely watch a video on how to make icing leaves and better squiggles. These eggs are pretty, but they can be really beautiful if you actually know what you're doing with a pastry bag!
Picture a few in the center of the table near a vase of daffodils...or a little sugar egg at each place setting...or in a pretty basket with some jelly beans and a chocolate bunny. You don't have to hollow them out. You can leave smaller eggs solid and just decorate the outsides...and in a dry place, they'll last for years!
Okay sweeties, if you're celebrating Easter, I hope you have a
lovely, eat-all-the-chocolate-you-want- without-guilt ... kind of a day!
See you soon!
xo
Paulette 

Amazing!!! And to think they will last for years and years-- these are so beautiful Paulette!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter dear friend--
Vicki
Wow your eggs are just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a very Happy Easter~
Mari
Wow how absolutely beautiful egg. Thanks for the great tutorial. Happy Easter to you and your family. Hugs judy
ReplyDeleteLovely idea, very pretty!
ReplyDeleteThat's amazing! I've never seen a sugar egg, and now that I've read about all the work that goes in to making one, I think I'll just enjoy the pictures! ;-)
ReplyDeleteHi Paulette! Oh my goodness are these too sweet!! I've always loved seeing these and wondered how they were made! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial, these are so adorable!! Wishing you a lovely and Happy Easter!! Easter hugs, Holly
ReplyDeleteWhat a SWEET tutorial Paulette... I love your sugar Easter eggs.. and with all the cute little animals inside.. Such a lovely setting.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter
fondly,
Penny
Happy Easter to you too. Thanks for the tutorial on sugar eggs - something else I've never tried!!
ReplyDeleteI think THESE are really beautiful! Wow - thanks for the great tutorial.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you decided to come back to Blogdom. :)
Paulette:
ReplyDeleteYou're so darn clever! I love these eggs and will put this on my future To Do List. (Painting a room this weekend.)
Happy Easter, dear girl.
xoxo
Donna
Happy Easter, I have one of those in my china cabinet. I don't know for how long, but I know it is longer then I care to think about. I didn't make mine, but it was given to me as a gift. I hope you have a wonderful Easter and I love your bunny pin. Take care. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.
ReplyDeleteholy moly! talk about talent!!!! i remember looking and staring at all the beautiful sugar eggs in the stores when i was a little girl. my mom would never ever let me touch them. they're so very delicate she would say, and to think i've never owned one. guess she knew my clumsy fingers!
ReplyDeletewhat a treasure you have!
hugs :)
hmmm niezwykle pomysłowe :) śliczne i słodkie :) wesołych świąt :)
ReplyDeleteMy Sweet Paulette, your eggs rival Faberge !~! You won my heart with your chosen shade of green icing; seafoam ranks as my All-Time Favorite color for (nearly) every application. Especially candy. Thanks for the comprehensive instructions on doing one ourselves; so gracious and thoughtful of you to share. How do you do it? Mount the camera? Grow an extra hand out the back of your head? Enlist the hubby-helping-hands?
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter, sweet friend, enjoy your holiday.
Beauitful! I never knew you could make those yourself!! A project for next Easter!
ReplyDeleteVery pretty and who would think they would last so long? Thank you for the tutorial!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter to you!
Deb
Wow fantastic Paulette will have to try this next year thanks for the instructions.
ReplyDeleteHugs Linda
very creative indeed.,a very happy easter to you x
ReplyDeleteHow amazing is that, and how amazing is your talent and patience, sweet Paulette! Yes, I am amazed! And I so LOVE the little happy snuggly scene within! You blow me away lovely girl! Thank you! Much love and best wishes for a very Happy Easter! Joy xoxo
ReplyDeleteHi dear Paulette, I replied but don't think it "went through", so hopefully this won't be a duplicate! I adore your bunny pair and I have something similar but different here. Mine sit by my pc, so I see them most days. I've moved them to the table so I can include a pic of them the next time I do a blog post. I just adore your sugar egg too. So delicate and beautiful and thank you for sharing your directions. Happy Easter, xx debbie
ReplyDeleteWow they are stunning! But if I tired to make them... they wouldn't look as pretty as yours! :)
ReplyDeleteDear Paulette,
ReplyDeleteThank you sooo much for the lovely Easter gift. I have loved these eggs since I was a little girl. They do last if you store them is a dry place. I have one that's over
sixty years old.
What a lovely surprise to find your post today. I'm so
excited.
HAPPY EASTER!!! to you and your dear family.
Love,
Aunt Bea
XXXXXX
Thank you too Aunt Bea! I hope your Easter was beautiful! xoxo
DeleteDear Paulette,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your sweet comment about Mary, and taking time to come over for a visit.
Wishing you a beautiful week..
blessings,
Penny
Omg! You've created a real wonderland in a sugar egg! I scroll down with my mouth and eyes wide open! Breathtaking, LOVEly and SO sweet;P
ReplyDeleteSo lovely and sweet egg decoration I have not was on my PC in Ester so I have to try that to next year.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day
Ingvor
Thanks for the gorgeous pics and easy, clear instructions. You are so clever!!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! I've always loved those precious sugar eggs, and I've never (ever!) bought one, let alone know that I could make one! They're so frilly and beautiful, and now I'm all in a hurry for Easter to come around again next year! Ooh, maybe I could find a kit real quick on clearance, I better move fast!
ReplyDeleteYours are completely charming, I can't believe the one in the china hutch is 13 years old, it looks as perfect as if it were made yesterday. You take such care of your little lovelies! I hope you had a Happy Easter, sweet lady!
Oh, wow, Paulette!! These are gorgeous!! You are so talented!! I came over to visit after reading your funny comment for Tag!! Isn't he the funniest!! :-)) I love your blog!!
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me. I just love your work. It is absolutely beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI stumbled upon your blog by following posts on Pinterest and I am completely undone. Your work is so beautiful and full of whimsy! I was wondering if you publish any tutorials or have a youtube account where you might video yourself making something great! Thank you again for sharing your beautiful art.
ReplyDeletedo you sell these amazing works of art anywhere?
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Paulette, for joining my blog! It means a great deal to me. Your blog is amazing. Just look at this post, for example! It's not surprising that you have over 2000 GFC followers. I'm happily one of them. :)
ReplyDeleteWishing you a lovely Easter!